Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Newest FO



What is it? A mitten gone wrong?
No! It's a hand warmer for when you are surfing the web. My boyfriend always complained that his hand was cold when he was on the computer, so I was going to make him some fingerless mittens, but his fingers would still be cold. So I came up with a "hand blanket" of sorts. It has a ribbed cuff and then rows of garter stitch to form a blanket that goes over your hand to keep it warm while you are using a mouse. I know it's a strange idea, but he tried it out and likes it!!

The picture on the right is me using it.

If you would like to make one, here is what I did:
Yarn: Lamb's Pride Worsted-your choice of color
Needles: size 9 dpns

CO 36 stitches, divide onto 4 needles evenly (9 stitches per needle). Join in the round being careful not to twist.
Knit the first row.
Work k2, p2 rib for about 4 inches.
BO 17 stitches. You can switch to regular needles if you want (I kept mine on the dpns, just be careful your stitches do not slip off the end.)
Knit back and forth all remaining stitches in garter stitch until the length of the "blanket" is to the top of your hand. BO.

I could have made it a little wider, maybe only binding off 12 stitches or increasing a little and then decreasing to give it some shape. Next I will make Bob one in black with a skull and crossbones on it for when he is online gaming!

4 comments:

Xina54 said...

What a great idea. - I knew what it was the instant I saw it! I can't believe how cold my hand get's when I'm on the computer, I thought it was just me . . .
I'm going to have to make one. I saw the photo on the photo-slide thingy on my home page, had to scroll back through a few to get to it.
Thanks so much for the pattern - I'm going to make one of these.
Christina

DJ Bob said...

I must say that my honey does know how to knit and I love my green hand warmer when I'm on the puter!

Her man

kathy b said...

What a terrific idea. Love the whole thought process put into it!

Jox said...

great idea, my hands get so cold, but my partners reaction would be 'don't spend so much time on the computer!' rather than what you need is a ......